STRATASEARCH TO MATHWORKS

Public Discussion about the StrataSearch platform
galileo632

STRATASEARCH TO MATHWORKS

Postby galileo632 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:41 pm

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE TRANSFERRING A MODEL FROM STRATAWORKS TO MATH MATHLAB?

I WOULD LIKE TO TRADE DURING THE DAY AND TEST MY MODEL INTRADAY. IN ADDITION, IT WOULD BE NICE TO PRIVATE LABEL MY MODELS ON MY LOGO.

progster

Re: STRATASEARCH TO MATHWORKS

Postby progster » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:10 pm

Are you referring to StrataSearch (by Avarin) and MatLab (by The MathWorks)?

Assuming you are, I don't see why there would be any need for such a transformation.

It is the nature of StrataSearch to run searches continuously (if you want it to) while generating signals periodically (i.e. daily). You can email the signals or post them to a web site, so they can be either private or pubic. No other software is required for this.

Technically, to private-label the signals may require that you write your own middle-ware, or take a manual step between generation in StrataSearch and presentation outside of it.

Also, you should check with Avarin about the terms of the StrataSearch license wrt. private labeling and distribution of StrataSearch-generated signals. I cannot advise you on this, but they can! ( support@StrataSearch.com )

galileo632

Postby galileo632 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:30 pm

Thank you for your promp response.

I have had discussions with Stratasearch and they will not private label.

I have been unable to get the software to email to my gmail account. Tech support has tried to help to no avail.

I want to private label the model, not the signals.

Stratasearch is excellent and I am very happy. It is an end of day signal program and it cannot be used for day trading. I have confirmed this with Tech support. As you may be aware, High Frequency Trading is all the rage. I would like to have the option to get intraday signals, rather than just end of day. I am looking to supplement mt Stratasearch with daytrading capability.

galileo632

Postby galileo632 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:38 pm

That was prompt, sorry.

Python, R and some other applications have been mentioned as well.

progster

Postby progster » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:15 pm

I have been unable to get the software to email to my gmail account. Tech support has tried to help to no avail.

That's surprising to me. Email is email, why would gmail be different?

I want to private label the model, not the signals.

It would be possible for a skilled programmer to recode a StrataSearch-generated "campaign" on another platform, but this would normally be more complex than a "normal" platform strategy, as SS typically models (and signals) the results of trading multiple strategies on multiple sectors at once.

This multi-strategy, multi-sector modeling and signaling is unique to StrataSearch AFAIK. No other platform in my awareness does this out-of-the-box, and that's one of the reasons SS is so powerful an addition to one's toolbox and such a potential edge when well-used.

It is an end of day signal program and it cannot be used for day trading. I have confirmed this with Tech support.

Yes, that's a fact. I can't say that an intraday version of SS wouldn't be fantastic to have (I know I'd be all over it!), but success is the bottom line, yes? There is a great deal of opportunity on the Daily timeframe, and chasing fads usually has nothing to do with cashing in! :mrgreen:

galileo632

Postby galileo632 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:20 pm

I understand your response regarding chasing a fad but I think this is different. Goldman Sachs is making $50 million a day doing it and it is reported that High Frequency Trading represents more than 50% of all volume on the exchanges. Not a fad. It is so big the Gov't is trying to limit it. Google "Irene Aldridge", you will find her new book on the topic.

I share your enthusiasm for StrataSearch. They have been very helpful from a tech support and the product is great. I would like to refine my methodologies to daily, or intraday, possibilities.

Given your expertise with software, any suggestions other than to create it from scratch?

progster

Postby progster » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:37 pm

Those who can trade in large enough size to move the order book have profit possibilities that those who cannot trade in such size do not have. Likewise, those who can place their servers at the exchange. Likewise, those who can pay hundreds-of-thousands or millions for custom software creation. Likewise those who can pay staff, or field reliable machines, to trade 24-7.

My suggestion is not to compete directly on a field on which you have every disadvantage. This doesn't mean don't trade intraday, but it does mean HFT is not a good path for the retail trader, IMO. YMMV.

Also, you can always let Avarin know how much you'd love to have (and be willing to pay for) an intraday version of StrataSearch. :D

galileo632

Postby galileo632 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:32 pm

I am not a retail trader.

I did inquire about intraday and is not under consideration.

I appreciate your input. I am in the business and you may still be correct that HFT might be out of reach unless I can get a system to support it.

If you come find someone willing to private label a intraday system, send them my way.

Thanks

Return to ‚ÄúStrataSearch Discussion‚ÄĚ