Upcoming Support for Futures and Forex

Public Discussion about the StrataSearch platform
progster

Upcoming Support for Futures and Forex

Postby progster » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:15 pm

The folks at StrataSearch have been working away at adding Futures and Forex support for the next major release, StrataSearch 4.0.

A most welcome announcement is that StrataSearch 4.0 will be a free upgrade for current users.

Here's Pete's posting of Sun Feb 24, 2008 in the StrataSearch Forum :

Yes, there are a number of issues that make StrataSearch 3.0 limited for futures use, although we still have some users that use it for that. Version 4.0 will have full futures and forex support, and I believe that these issues have all been covered. About 95% of the code is complete, but we still have to take it through some significant alpha testing. And, of course, create some documentation on the new features. But the hope is to have a beta version available by June, if not before.

For those that have been wondering, yes, this will again be a free upgrade for all current users.

So, for anyone who has not yet "taken the plunge" on StrataSearch on account of it being "stocks only", here's the smart path to take (IMO):

Start a StrataSearch trial now, and then buy your first StrataSearch license as your trial nears it's end. Begin learning the ins and outs of the program, and begin your planning as to how you want to define and score your automated searches. Go ahead and work with stocks for now, and operate with stocks, ETFs, or stock indexes as proxies for whatever instruments you think you will ultimately want to trade.

Here's the point - StrataSearch is a serious edge-producer, once you learn it well enough to apply some creativity to the tasks you set it to. Start to learn it NOW and you will be months ahead of all those who don't pick it up until sometime after the 4.0 version is released.

(Of course, we'd love for you to purchase your initial StrataSearch license thru CodeForTraders. Please read about StrataSearch in detail starting on our StrataSearch Product Pages and don't forget to take advantage of the CFT $100 discount on this page . )

progster

Re: Upcoming Support for Futures and Forex

Postby progster » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:23 pm

I also can't help but add that for such a major addition in functionality to be a no-cost upgrade is really quite exceptional.

My hat is off to the StrataSearch team - their software is great, and they are clearly going the extra distance for their customers. Bravo! :D

P.S. For those wondering, I have been running a pair of automated searches for a couple of months now. (Posting some of the info generated is on my TODO list.) What I really like is that StrataSearch has been doing its thing even while my daily attention has been otherwise engaged. It's almost too cool for words ... 8-)

rikdeere

Postby rikdeere » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:21 am

Hi Progster,

I wanted to throw a couple of questions out there in regards to the StrataSearch platform. I did spend some time going through their demo, and a couple hours reading the forum and faq, but there remains a few questions. As you probably know, I am strictly trading forex at this point, so the support of forex on this product caught my eye. I am also only using TradeStation for my broker, and have been running automated unattended strategies round-the-clock. So here we go (and sorry for sounding like such a noob here):

1. Do you know what they recommend for forex data?
2. Is the data downloaded daily? Is it live?
3. I am guessing that the strategy searches are only on OHLC, or can it actually support tick data?
4. Can the proprietary code it generates be converted to EL? (e.g. could it be inserted into the skeletal strategy)

What I am looking to do, is find a strategy that I could automate on my TradeStation account, and leave unattended. The other thing I would like to do is rework the strategy I am using now. A very simple and interesting chunk of code, that is actually profitable - but I think could do better. It misses lots of opportunities.

-Rik

progster

Postby progster » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:51 pm

rikdeere wrote:4. Can the proprietary code it generates be converted to EL? (e.g. could it be inserted into the skeletal strategy)

Rik,

Let me speak to #4 first. StrataSearch (SS) expresses strategies with an entry string and an exit string.

For example:

Entry String

Code: Select all

// TRIX: 1
(increasing(trix(close, 11))) and

// Minimum Price Requirement
(close > 1) and

// Minimum Liquidity Requirement
(mov(volume, 20, simple) * close >= 200000) and

// Relative Volatility Index - Stock Periods: 1
(rvi(20) > 57) and

// Chaikin Oscillator Divergence - Sector Periods: 2
(sector("N100 - LLTC", diverge(cho(), mov(close, 3, simple), 4, 11)) <> 1)

Exit String

Code: Select all

// TRIX: 1
(decreasing(trix(close, 11))) or

// Relative Volatility Index - Stock Periods: 1
(rvi(20) < 44) or

(sector("N100 - LLTC", diverge(cho(), mov(close, 3, simple), 4, 11)) = 1)

You can see the use of formulas and functions in these to create boolean conditions for entry and exit.

Broadly speaking, this sort of thing can be expressed in any language, incl. EL. Many of the functions in the StrataSearch Function Library are standard TA functions, and will have direct analogs in your TS Function Library. However, the SS Func Lib is quite extensive, and not every function in it comes stock with TS. So, in those cases, an EL function would have to be written to duplicate the SS function.

Also, consider a line like this one:

(sector("N100 - LLTC", diverge(cho(), mov(close, 3, simple), 4, 11)) = 1)

That's actually a fairly sophisticated operation on a sector composite. This would require advanced programming to replicate in TS, but it could be done. You have to keep in mind that SS was built from the ground up for portfolio analysis and trading, while TS was not. AmiBroker, on the other hand, handles composites with aplomb.

StrataSearch has the capability to generate signals for all it's complex strategies and Multi-Systems. You could trade those signals manually in TS (or elsewhere), or perhaps write middle-ware to create a cross-platform process to do it.

rikdeere

Postby rikdeere » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:55 pm

Thanks for the response on the Easy Language question! It sounds like a hassle to deal with the whole TradeStation/Easy Language migration. Maybe better to just use the signal generation feature. In any case, I could opt for mid to longer term systems, so there wouldn't be too many signals to contend with. This is important for me with the busy schedule I try to maintain. Also forex being a 24 hour market, many signals arrive in the middle of the night - so systems generating many signals could be cumbersome.

On the question about EOD versus realtime data, I found in the SS FAQ that the system only supports EOD. Well, that raises the question of how does one get realtime signals??

Ultimately, I could live with an text message or e-mail to my PDA. Is this why you mention AmiBroker? Export the SS strategy to AmiBroker (where it's more compatible with SS), subscribe to a realime forex datafeed, and setup some sort of alert via e-mail?

On the question about what datafeed they recommend, I think I also have that answered as well. I viewed the different price feed providers. I noticed CSI noted in several places -especially as it relates to forex. Looks like their "Unfair Advantage" offering for North American Futures would do the trick.

-Rik

progster

Postby progster » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:30 pm

Rik,

From the StrataSearch 4.0 help file, here are the pricing services with built-in support:

SS_Pricing_Services_01.png
StrataSearch 4.0 Pricing Services 9/2008

You are correct about StrataSearch being an End-of-Day product. As such, it's signals can be taken manually. Of course, the moves that occur over days/weeks are much larger than those that occur over minutes/hours. Also, a this very fast program applied to the relatively few Daily data points (fewer by a factor of up to 1440 at the minute level, or much higher at the tick level) makes for alot of meaningful calculation and discovery taking place in human-usable time!

After getting over my own brief "No intraday! :( " reaction, I have become convinced that Avarin is exactly right to concentrate on creating the best possible automatic daily analysis and discovery.

Return to “StrataSearch Discussion”